Monday, October 17, 2005

RSS Feeds - What are they and how do I deal with them

I recently posted a note advising I'd put up an RSS feed.

So, what are they and how do I deal with them?

Well it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to get automatic updates whenever I publish a new post, or do you want to have your Blog RSS capable?

Reading RSS Feeds

For this you need an RSS Reader (I use an Open Source and therefore free reader - http://www.feedreader.com/) It is simple to instal and use

It comes with a large number of feeds already available - new, sport etc and you can add any feed you like.

You also receive notification when feeds (web site RSS feeds) are updated

Have your Blog RSS capable

To make your own Blog RSS capable, you need to subscribe to a feed aggregator (I use FeedBurner, http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/home which is free.

You sign up and enter your Blog address (it works with Blogger).

Periodically FeedBurner checks on your postings and makes them available (aggregated) to folks who use a reader

Give it a try...you only live once ;-)

1 comment:

Sandy said...

ahhhhh yes Andy. I used to visit an elderly catholic lady at the nursing home and she would say this to me with each visit.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Automatic updates huh...Sweet! I'll check that out when I get back from Atlanta. Going there for Work tomorrow.